Volunteer Iowa is excited to welcome Barb Westercamp as one of our new Commissioners this year!
We recognize just how amazing all of our Commissioners are, so we thought it would be important for you to know how amazing they are too! It takes dedicated volunteers like Barb to help us meet our mission.
Barb is truly a committed volunteer – you’ll have to check out her list of volunteer service below! Enjoy!
What about our mission and work really motivates you?
As a 33 year educator in Iowa public schools and multiple Cedar Rapids area volunteer opportunities, educating our children inspires me. Supporting our youth through reading and mentoring helps create a brighter future for Iowa. Encouraging volunteerism in our state is my passion. I’m honored to serve on this Board to help knit together our strong communities through volunteerism.
What are some of your previous volunteer experiences or leadership roles?
I’m committed to driving positive change in my community. I’ve had the honor to volunteer via the following:
- 7 years as a volunteer coordinator for Reading is Fundamental
- 6 years City of Cedar Rapids Council appointee for Hotel Motel Tax Committee
- 6 years City of Cedar Rapids Historic Preservation Commissioner
- 25 years Veterans of Foreign Wars Committee Chairperson
- 48 years as a local school volunteer
- 7 years Board Member of two nonprofits
- 5 years Salvation Army volunteer
- 7 years Cedar Rapids History Center volunteer
- 48 years literacy coach volunteer
- 12 years school PTA officer
- 12 years volunteer for Cedar Rapids Harding & Kennedy Band & Orchestra
- 7 years Church Café volunteer
What appeals to you most about being a Commissioner with Volunteer Iowa?
In the words of Martin Luther King Junior, “life’s most persistent and urgent question is what are you doing for others.” As a Commissioner I will have the opportunity to do more for my local community and my state. My key priority is education and empowering our children through reading.
We know where you work and a tiny bit about you…what else would you like to share with us?
As a lifelong Iowan, my husband and I are the proud parents of four children. We also have two grandchildren and two rescue dogs. I am a graduate of Iowa State University, but all of my children graduated from the University of Iowa. I have three undergraduate degrees from Iowa State and two graduate degrees from the University of Iowa. I enjoy traveling in the US and internationally as I have been to over a dozen countries.